Groups of hosting solutions
A hosting solution refers to hoarding and/or sharing certain web content on a web hosting server hosted by a hosting supplier. There are different varieties of hosting services used for different purposes, so let's have a gaze at them. Doing so, you can elect what you need, depending on whether you wish to establish a web portal, e-mail aliases, or to share files with mates and colleagues.
- File hosting: a solution supplied by various vendors, which permits you to share immense files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archived files, etc. This solution is also known as file storage, and its sole function is to share files, since it does not offer web site uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either get an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to see a register of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to open .html or .php web files in your web browser. Free-of-cost file hosting services frequently involve advertisements by the download links, while a timer makes you wait for a particular interval of time to perceive them. A single file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you buy a paid file storage package, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download instantly, and also there is no restriction as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
These days, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting vendors, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more trendy "cloud hosting". This is a completely amiss explanation of the real definition of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting platform would share the workload between autonomous stacks of servers in a cluster, which are devoted to serving miscellaneous hosting services (email, web space, stats, DNS, databases, website hosting CP, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is simply a variety of a disk space hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: akin to file hosting; certain providers offer a hosting solution for pictures only. This hosting type is appropriate if you desire to share a great amount of pictures with chums or partners since the service is generally free. You will receive a randomly generated link for every pic or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the service cannot be utilized for sites.
- E-mail hosting: a service dedicated to managing your email aliases. Some providers offer webspace hosting solutions for web sites, but do not offer an e-mail hosting solution. If you would like to have a mail address with your domain name but do not wish to own a website, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you need. You can create mail accounts and manage them, but there will be no hosting solution for the domains. The email hosting service involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution permits you to upload and share video clips. You can either share a link to a particular video clip, or you can embed the video clip in your web site that is hosted elsewhere. The advantage of availing of this approach in lieu of uploading the video in a hosting account is that the video clip creates a certain amount of central processing unit load, so with a few videos and a few hundred website viewers, you may have a problem with your web page hosting resources. Embedding the video will allow you to manage as many video files as you want to without worrying about system reserves.
- Website hosting: this is the solution that you require if you want to own a site. To a certain extent, it involves all of the aforesaid hosting varieties since, along with your web sites, you can also host pics and files, you can run databases and email address accounts, upload video clips, and so on. At My hosting company, for instance, you can examine web hosting and dedicated server hosting services that permit you to get all of the aforesaid solutions in a single place. There may be restrictions depending on the form of hosting solution that you've opted for - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your site hosting plan may be better or worse compared to the customary e-mail/file/video/image hosting accounts that are devised for specific web content solely.